Sunday, January 4, 2009

On the Radio: High Heels Are Bad for You

NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday program let me rant on the radio Jan. 4 -- they aired my comment criticizing Isaac Mizrahi for advocating high-heeled shoes.

If you read this blog, you know I'm strongly opposed to high heels. Not only are they hard to walk in and impossible to run in, they throw your pelvis forward and put you off balance. In short, they make women vulnerable.

I notice that my comment was preceded by one from a doctor who treats women suffering from the damage inflicted by high heels. His instruction to avoid heels in any situation where you might need to walk or stand is great advice.

Wearing high heels makes a woman a little helpless, but the myth persists that women look "sexier" in heels. I've asked before and I'll ask again: Do you really want a lover who is attracted to you because you look helpless?

No comments: